Posted by : Unknown Friday 11 October 2013




I get such a strong feel of nostalgia when looking through these Runescape classic images (am I the only that remembers party hats going for 500k??).
It was the first real multiplayer I ever played, and the first game that had me continually on the computer for hours a day.

But what was it that kept me? I've played many games before but why was this classic so appealing?
In class we talked about multiplayer and its important constituents, and one main aspect of multiplayer being competition. I remember how fun it was to try and be the first out of my grade school friends to wield a particular weapon, or to catch up in levels to someone who’s played much longer than I had. Even as my “real life” friends began to play less, I found more competition in friends that I’ve made through the game; especially the ones that started around the same time as I had and we “grew up” and became known entities in our online community.
Thereafter in class we talked about Status and judgement of others in online play. It all sounds familiar. I became #1 fisher in Runescape (through programming macros, which further reflects real life antics done for fame) and was very well known. I was part of a clan for what we talked about, the importance of being a part of a community, which further echoes the social needs satisfied by multiplayer games.

So this sparks the question: Why would one play a single player game, when multiplayer games seemingly have all the same elements, in addition to many more that single players do not offer?

As I got older, I looked for these competitive elements in other games. I had very hard time playing single players, or rather, finishing them. Even games as fun and creative as San Andreas couldn't captivate me long enough to see the ending (darn it – I know I know). I missed the very fun aspect of problem-solving as a team, and sharing fulfillments and triumphs. Just as importantly the competitive aspect of beating another human was too satisfying to be missing for me. Humans were, as we discussed, “worthy opponents” compared to NPCs. Perhaps I am different. As according to “Kim’s social engagement verbs” I am more inclined to compete than to collaborate, but either one rather more than to explore or express. This may explain why I prefer competitive multiplayer over Luigi’s mansion despite how epic that game is.

May be viewing this from a Game developer’s s standpoint will shed more light:
Multiplayer games of course lend themselves to much more complex problem solving. Strategies become a lot more in-depth as intelligence of a player is accompanied by their intuition and experience. This is a positive feedback, and self-reinforcing for a competitive multiplayer – having to play more to win, and as you play more you improve but vs. other improving players, and as a result must play even more. This naturally increases the playable hours of a game as it is not just completion based, and the players define what their objectives are. In multiplayer, more complex human psychologies that usually are exposed during tensed team situations are explored through more accessible means, such through game avatars, without having the need for epic circumstances as that of elite athleticism or a war field. Therefore again, why does one play single player games?

I knew the answers all along: the reasons I stopped certain multiplayers.

For instance, Runescape extended social pressures beyond the game. I couldn’t stand the thought of losing my #1 status, and this ate into so much of my regular life. The game was no longer fun, it wasn’t even a choice. It now became hard work to justify the endless hours that had been put into it – a vicious cycle. Halo 2 was no longer an enjoyable hang out with my friends to exchange shots, but was now to exchange shots like “idiot” and who’s to blame as to why we lost the game and our rank. Starcraft 2 turned from exciting and creative play, to executing perfect builds and nervous jitters to thrive in master league – and to smashing keyboards out of frustration.


Then again, I’ve thrown my GameBoy before. It’s not that these negatives don’t exist in single player, but they’re a lot milder, and you've nobody to blame but yourself so one’s more forgiving, and as a result the games are a lot more relaxing. People play single players because they remember why we play games in the first place – to enjoy and relax, to wind down, and hf : )

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to My Blog

- Copyright © Ahilan's Esoteric TN -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -